Skip to content

What I was doing a week ago…

December 20, 2009

I was having a baby! My Katie (short for Katherine Anne) was born last Sunday at 3 in the morning. My water broke around 11:15 Saturday night, and contractions started shortly thereafter. They were immediately 3 minutes apart. We packed up the rest of our bags and headed to the hospital, hoping that the ice would stay away until we got there. It did! We checked in with the ER triage nurse who sent us straight upstairs to get situated.

By that time (keep in mind that it takes 15-20 minutes to get to the hospital), contractions were 2 minutes apart and becoming intense very quickly. I got frustrated the first time the nurse checked me because I was only 2.5cm. Well that didn’t last long. Within an hour and a half, I was close to fully dilated (can’t remember exactly how much) and decided to get an epidural only because the pain was so intense that I wasn’t sure I could concentrate on pushing. They pushed 3 liters of fluid through me, and the anesthesiologist gave me a big old shot in my back.

About 15 minutes later, the doctor told me I could practice pushing if I wanted because I was ready to go! I did about 3 practice pushes when the nurse checked me and told me I had to stop because the baby was showing. They called the doctor, and we got down to business! 45 minutes of pushing later, Katherine Anne was born. She weighed 7lb. 8oz. and was 20″ long. I came out with only minor tearing both at the perineum and the urethra, so I’m nursing those as carefully as possible.

We went home on Tuesday after finding out Katie had jaundice (not uncommon in breastfed babies). We have had pediatrician appointments all week to check her bilirubin levels. They went down over Wednesday night, but shot back up after a rough night on Thursday when Katie just did not want anything to do with her bilibed (type of phototherapy used for jaundiced babies).

Yesterday, we were stuck inside all day while a snowstorm dropped 2 feet of snow on us. It’s the biggest snow since 1996–I think that’s what they said anyway. So we have been watching movies with Katie bundled up on bilibed on the couch. It’s been a little rough not getting to cuddle with her as much as I want to, but I know it’s the best for her and we are doing the right thing. Hopefully we’ll have some good news at her 1-week checkup tomorrow 🙂

And, well, Phil is an amazing dad so far! He was a little shy with her at first, which is understandable considering he had never really been around a baby that young before. He is great at comforting her when she is upset, and if I need some sleep in the middle of the night, he’ll stay up with her as long as he needs to so that I can get some uninterrupted rest. He has successfully changed a few diapers and done some of the supplementary feeding (we are feeding her with a syringe or a medicine cup to help get her suck reflex going). I just can’t wait to see what their relationship has in store!

One Comment leave one →
  1. February 7, 2010 12:42 pm

    Congrats on your new baby! I was just looking at your food blog, and I was like, “wow, she hasn’t posted in a while, I wonder what’s up?”. Now I know! You’ve had way more fun things to do than blog!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: